About Awesome Games
We started this blog as a tribute to our biggest passion in life, gaming. Both Illiya and I have been gaming since the ages of 4 and 6 respectively. Born in the 1980s, we grew up on a diet of Sega and Nintendo, slowly watching the games industry develop from humble early beginnings to the goliath that it has become today. Having played and owned pretty much every console or hand-held ever created in our life time, we are well placed to share our opinions about gaming.
Foremost, we try to be honest and tell it like it is when discussing our thoughts on this blog.
Our review rating system consists of a maximum of 5 stars. Each half star represents a score of 1, so 3 and a half stars will equate to 7/10. We believe that readers should be encouraged to form their own opinion based on the written review itself, rather than solely on the score it receives. However, we can appreciate the fact that many gamers prefer an overall numerical score or rating. Therefore, we have attempted to satisfy both parties in this respect.
Our review system also has 5 sub-categories that include graphics, gameplay, story, longevity and sound. Each sub-category should be treated as an individual score and may not necessarily correlate to the overall rating, which takes into account all aspects of the game. For example, if you like graphics or a good story then it is easy to see whether the game excels or disappoints in these particular areas.
We hope that you will share your own opinions and views with other gamers on the blog.
“Me and my brother are basically like the ‘original’ Super Mario Bros., except we’re not Italian (or plumbers), we’re Serbian!” – Illiya
Here’s a bit about the Awesome Team below:
Adam Vjestica (Owner & Editor-in-Chief)
Adam Vjestica is the Editor-in-Chief at Awesome Games. A want away fledgling lawyer, Adam realised that his true passion lay in gaming and decided to create Awesome Games so he could make his opinions heard.
Adam decided to use his love of writing to talk about all things gaming, with the greater vision of creating a community and fan base with which he could share his passion.
Adam plays any types of genres, although he particularly enjoys games where he can save the day and woo beautiful women. If Adam isn’t found living the dream as an action hero, he can be found playing PES/FIFA religiously, forcing people to play N64 with him or playing the latest and greatest titles.
- Favourite Games of All Time: WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64), Final Fantasy VII (PSOne), Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube), Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (PS3)
- Favourite Console: N64 (Nintendo)
- Favourite Game Character: Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)
- First Game Ever Played: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Megadrive) – 1994
You can also follow Adam on Twitter
Illiya Vjestica (Website Editor)
Illiya Vjestica is the Website Editor at Awesome Games. For his day job he works as an Online Marketing Consultant at Smartdog digital, the company behind Awesome Games.
A serial blogger for many years and avid designer, Illiya was responsible for the logo, branding and social media designs at Awesome Games.
Illiya’s favourite gaming genre is Role Playing Games (RPGs). If a game involves Elves, Orcs or anything fantasy based it is off to a good start! If Illiya isn’t found slaying demons in mystic worlds, he can be found playing First Person Shooters (FPS) such as Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2 or Unreal Tournament.
Illiya’s other major passions apart from gaming, designing and marketing is Anime.
- Favourite Games of All Time: Half-Life 2 (PC), Unreal Tournament (PC) , Final Fantasy VII (PSOne) , Baldurs Gate 2 (PC) , Mass Effect 2 (PC) and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
- Favourite Console: N64 (Nintendo)
- Favourite Game Character: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: Neverwinter Nights (PC)
- First Game Ever Played: Paper Boy (Commodore 64) - 1992
You can also follow Illiya on Twitter
Vince Shuley (Senior Contributor)
Vince is a Senior Contributor at Awesome Games. An Australian expat living in Whistler, Canada, Vince is a freelance writer for magazines and websites around the world specializing in action sports, mountain pursuits and video games. When not out recreating in the Coastal Mountains of British Columbia, Vince enjoys writing and blogging about gaming culture.
A self-confessed PC die-hard, Vince loves the immersion of a realistic FPS, the escapism of a well written RPG and the depth of a balanced strategy game.
Vince’s other passions include photography, skiing, mountain biking and rock climbing. The rainy days give him a chance to enjoy and critique the latest and greatest video games.
- Favourite Games of All Time: Super Metroid (SNES), Street Fighter II (arcade), Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), Half-Life 2 (PC), Diablo 2 (PC)
- Favourite Console: SNES (Nintendo)
- Favourite Game Character: Niko Bellic (GTA 4)
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: World of Warcraft (now retired)
- First Game Ever Played: Ice Climber (NES) – 1986
You can also follow Vince on Twitter
Aidan “The Voice” Fundamenski (Video Editor & Contributor)
Aidan Fundamenski is a Senior Contributor at Awesome Games. An avid movie buff, his cinema-savvy pales to his first and foremost entertainment enthusiasm: video games, of course.
Paired with the passion to pen, Aidan’s a professional journalist aspirant who writes for numerous blogs and gaming websites. Although raised on single-player platformers of the N64 era, Aidan’s fandom holds no preference on any one genre. First-person shooters, RPG’s, sports titles… he loves ‘em all.
Other passions include film, cycling, hockey, history, AC/DC, a good half-dozen bottles of James Ready 5.5, and subsequently painting the town red.
- Favourite Games of all Time: Half-Life 2 (PC) , Super Mario 64 (N64) , Rayman 2: The Great Escape (N64) , The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN) and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox).
- Favourite Console: N64 (Nintendo)
- Favourite Game Character: Sonic the Hedgehog
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (X360)
- First Game Ever Played: Toy Bizarre (Commodore 64)
Joe Martin (News Contributor)
Joe Martin is the News Contributor at Awesome Games. A multi-media journalist working in the national press by day and avid gamer by night, Joe’s spent the last few years sounding off about gaming and the games industry to anyone who’ll listen.
He favours games with deep, engaging storylines and interesting characters above all else and will always be found with a copy of Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect or Broken Sword close to hand. His spectacular ineptitude with platforming games is known throughout the land but he more than makes up for it when it comes to FPS games. If you meet him online when playing Unreal Tournament, Bioshock or Resistance, be prepared to die. A lot.
Outside of the gaming world, his many interests include Steampunk culture, the paranormal, skiing, anime, cosplay and whiskey.
- Favourite Games of All Time: Silent Hill 2 (PS2), Broken Sword (PC), Monkey Island (PC), Resident Evil 2 (PSone), Bioshock (PS3), American McGee’s Alice (PS2), Metal Gear Solid (PSone), Mass Effect (PC), Zone of the Enders (PS2).
- Favourite Console: PS3 (Sony)
- Favourite Game Character: Alice (American McGee’s Alice)
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
- First Game Ever Played: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Megadrive)
Rhys Wood (Contributor)
Rhys Wood is an aspiring video games writer, and is currently studying Media, Writing and Production at university. Rhys loves writing about his favourite games (and the games that make him rage) for the entertainment of the Internet at large.
Outside of the gaming world, Rhys can often be found playing and/or watching football, watching and writing about films, or drunkenly hitting up the town with friends.
Rhys believes the best kind of game is one that sucks the player in and never lets go, and a fun FPS or platformer on the side doesn’t hurt, either.
- Favourite Games of all Time: Jet Set Radio (Dream Cast), Tales of Symphonia (GameCube), Persona 4 (PS2), Dark Souls (Xbox 360), Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC), Chrono Trigger (SNES) and Dynasty Warriors 6 (Xbox 360).
- Favourite Console: Sega Dreamcast (Sega)
- Favourite Game Character: Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect)
- Longest Time Spent on a Game: Dark Souls (Xbox 360)
- First Game Ever Played: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Megadrive)